Thursday, October 24, 2013

Flops

Sorry it has taken so long for the next in my series of posts. We had 3 deaths in 1 week in our family. Things are just settling down enough for me to sit and organize my thoughts. Thanks to some gentle nudging from a friend, I'm ready to post my list of thm "flops".

Let me preface this by saying these are not flops in the sense that the recipes are no good. They are due to my own limits or tastes. So something I may have disliked or ruined, you may love and make wonderfully. So give it a try if you haven't already and then decide for yourself. Maybe you'll come up with a helpful tip for me!! This post is just me "keeping it real" so to speak.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Chewy Sprouted Mini Loaves (page422): I felt so proud of myself to be sprouting something on my counter! It is quite an accomplished feeling to be so invested in something you're cooking. Imagine my disappointment when these turned out to be little rectangular door stops. They were hard as a rock and completely inedible. I'm sure I did something wrong. I can't put my finger on it. I'm scared to try again. Have you had success with these? Any tips or tricks you can share?

Cookie Bowl Oatmeal (page232): In all honesty, I don't like oatmeal in any form. So this could be the best recipe and I still probably wouldn't like it.

Crunchy Cheese Crackers (page 395): I tried making these in the microwave. I ended up with cheese burnt onto wax paper. Yuck. Again, this was something I tried early on in my THM days. I should try it again. I just love cheese so much I would rather eat it right off the block than waste it :)

Exotic Green Curry (page 287): I didn't like the texture of this. It's not that it tasted bad. It was just kind of gritty. I blended it really good in my ninja. I guess my kale was too hearty? Maybe I didn't take enough of the tough stems off?

Icing for cake (page 386): This tasted like butter. I don't like butter on my cake. The end.

Ketchup (page 411): My kids wouldn't even try it because it wasn't red. My hubby (who usually will eat just about anything that is vegetarian because he doesn't like wasting stuff) wouldn't eat it. I think this is one of those things you have to tweak for your own tastes. More or less vinegar, more or less sweetener, etc.

Light Baked Custard (page 218): I didn't like the way this turned out. Could've been me. I didn't make it in ramekins (I don't have any!). I made it in an 8x8 casserole. That could've been a contributing factor as well.

Oven Flax Crackers (page 393): This was (again) a failure on my part. The dough wasn't evenly rolled out. So the edges ended up blackening and the middle wasn't crispy at all. That being said, my kids LOVED it! The middle part, that is. My middle child asked if she could "have more of that bread that you call crackers" LOL!!!

Trim Healthy Pan Bread (page 266): Please tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks this is pretty much trim healthy pancakes without the sweetness? I'd rather just eat the pancakes!!

That's it! The list of "loves" was much longer and harder to trim down than this one. I love, love, love most of the recipes in the book (and the many more on the facebook page!) and I am so very thankful for all of the work that went into developing them. It's nice to have so many options right at my fingertips. In my opinion, it's more than worth the occasional flop.

Linking up to Trim Healthy Tuesday and Menu Plan Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment